Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Food Safety and Sanitation

I just started culinary school on Monday. The first class of the program is ServSafe or Food Safety and Sanitation. I actually have to take a state certification and pass it before being allowed to continue with the rest of my courses. Since I already took this course when I attended the San Francisco Culinary Academy, a lot of the information is review...but it has been updated quite a bit since 2001. =)

When I first took the course in the early 2000's, I freaked out and didn't really eat out at restaurants for several months because of all the information you learn. Basically, you could get foodborne illnesses at any restaurant. Luckily, my stint in South Asia exposed me to some pretty rough conditions and this second time around, the class isn't affecting me as much. (Thank goodness, since my pots and pans are still in storage and my eating options are pretty limited right now!)

I'll be closing out the Bangladesh blog in the next week or so and then will switch to posting on this blog (on a regular basis) about my culinary school life. Other everyday adventures and random musings will be on the main blog.

No comments: