Saturday, September 08, 2012

Tonite for Timoz - Lamb Chops

It's been a while since I've cooked in a restaurant, so tonite I got a little ambitious for Timoz dinner.  (Perhaps it was a little too ambitious.)  It ended up being Amateur Chef Hour at the Wongello Residence...

Here's what I served...Lamb Chops, Garlic Confit, Mushroom Risotto and Broccoli with Brown Butter



This is what it looked like...(personal critique: my plating wasn't very original - very standard "center of plate" style.  In a side by side comparison, it looked very similar to the picture of last week's dinner for Timoz.)


What went wrong?

Timoz Tips:
  • "I ordered medium rare not lamb tartar"
    • The lamb, while being nicely seared on the outside, was RAW in the center. 
    • If this was served in a restaurant, we would have had this plate sent back and then we would have had to comp something to the disgruntled customer.
    • I had to pull the chops off of Tim's plate and put it back on the pan and finish them in the oven for a few minutes.  They ended up being just a hair over medium rare towards medium.
    • Tim also prefers a more gamey or lamby chop - unfortunately most folks in the US don't prefer the stronger flavors of lamb so the product we get in the states has most of the "lamb" flavor bred out of them.
  • "The garlic confit is a little strong"
    • While soft - the garlic confit still had yet to caramelize, so it was still too raw and uncaramelized to truly have the elements of a wonderful garlic confit (slightly sweet, nutty with a wonderfully mellow garlic essence).  See below the changes in the garlic conft as it cooks...the final picture is the final product, which can either be pureed or served as is.
TW Notes:
  • While I got the sear right on the chops (using a cast iron pan), I should have either finished them in the oven or I should have turned down the temp a hair to allow the chops to finish in the pan without fear of burning.  I wish I had a gas stove - so much easier to gauge temperature looking at a flame rather than guessing how hot "8" is.
  • Broccoli was a little under - I tried to steam them in the microwave as a shortcut instead of blanching them properly in salted boiling water.  I should have blanched them "a la minute" for a correctly cooked product.
  • I think I felt a little rushed.  I prepped at 10 this evening, but Tim didn't get home from his shift until about midnite so I wasn't quite on top of my game while cooking his plate.  (I had fallen asleep on the couch while waiting - so was a little groggy.)
  • I'm also not quite used to our stove...(I know...what a lame excuse!)



No comments: