Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It's a 'B' Day!

Beet Salad and Beef Brisket day!!!

I just made my first brisket (that isn't corned beef) on Monday night!

Seared off a beautiful piece of center-cut, grass fed brisket. Braised it for about 12 hours at 200 degrees in the oven with red wine, chicken stock, shallots, garlic and bay leaf. (Overnight basically)

Chilled it for the day (in the braising liquid), then sliced and covered with the (strained and then) reduced sauce before re-heating in the oven for last night's dinner.

Can't believe how easy and delicious it was! (Lots more recipes online too!)

Salad was made ahead on Monday night too - cleaned (unpeeled) beets, drizzled in olive oil and a little salt and then wrapped in foil. I let them roast in the oven at 400 degrees while I seared the beef. (Then let them hang out in the oven while the brisket was braising until tender.)

Then last night I easily removed the skin from the chilled beets, chopped and seasoned with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper. The beets went over some romaine (arugula would have been better) with goat cheese and an extra drizzle of balsamic, olive oil and a twist of fresh black pepper and salt. So easy and delicious!

I wish all my weeknight dinners could be so quick and easy!



No comments: