Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New Eating Habits...update

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I my resolution for 2013 would be to incorporate 3 different vegetables into at least 2 of my meals each day by March 2013.

Here we are in March and I have to admit, 3 vegetables in each meal is pretty tough.  Here's an example of one of my more successful meals: pan roasted tri-tip, romaine dressed in a lemon vinaigrette, roasted radishes in soy and peanut oil, and avocado tossed in a miso-sesame dressing.  I guess I could have just tossed all the ingredients together to make a single salad with 3 ingredients but sometimes it's all about the presentation and the perception that you have having 3 distinct side dishes.


I cheat a lot - I use a hearty salad mix that includes red and green swiss chard, tat soi, arugula and spinach.  That's 5 different vegetables in any single handful of salad mix!  I like to use the triple washed Organic Girl Super Greens. They also have a 'Five Happiness' mix that I want to try next.

So - I've been pretty good about sticking to this resolution 50-60% of the time.  And if I don't have multiple vegetables on the plate, I try to make the veggies a majority of the make-up of the plate.  (And carbs only in the morning and sometimes at lunch, rarely at dinner - but no processed carbs like bread or pasta.)

Next on the healthy agenda - restricting red meat to only 2x a week, so fish twice a week or more and chicken 3 times a week or more!  It's only week 2 of this...so will report my success/failure soon!

But like anything...I've got to keep it simple and delicious!

No comments: